I know. Lame.
I got a Chimera in a trade that looked like it actually was in battle. The thing that bothered me was that two of the lasguns were broken. What to do with it was bothering me for at least a week. Thoughts of antennae or banners ran through my head, but I'm not that good at customizing.
I was cleaning up some boxes within boxes the other day and came across the missile pod to a Whirlwind (no idea where the Whirlwind is - all that was left was the missile pod). Then it hit me - MANTICORE!
I never really thought of fielding a Manticore before. It has D3 pie-plates of S10 AP4 fun, but I like to see an AP3 or lower on the weapons on my armor. After thinking about it for a bit and seeing as I had everything I needed, I reread Brother-Captain Angelus' article on recycling and went to work.
This is custom modeling for dummies.
I drilled a 3/4" hole where the turret was. Even though I used a drill bit made for wood, it worked remarkably well on plastic.
Then I cut off the lasguns and started filing them down. That wasn't working, so I decided to drill the hole. It didn't take much for the lasgun to pop into the inside of the Chimera.
Now I had to do something with the six holes on the side of my armor. I tried green stuff, but that didn't work. Thought about cutting a plastic piece to go over them, but that looked ridiculous. Then I found the answer in my spare bit drawer.
Space Marine shoulder pads!
I can hear Marines players groaning now. It makes the Chimera look like it has vents. I had to file down the raised marks on the lasgun holes, but the shoulder pads fit like they were meant to go there.
I have a bunch of dozer blades, so I figured why not add one to this puppy. I also added the smoke launcher to keep it consistent with the rest of my armor.
I primed, top-coated, and painted and here are the results: